Re: [Axiom-developer] Bug?

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Bug?
Date: 29 Mar 2007 18:37:34 -0500

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

| > But Integer has Ring so if you add 3 new functions to Complex2,  1, =
| > and characteristic() then both Integer and Complex2 can satisfy Ring.
|
| I feared that the anonymous category or the "0: %" were the problem.
| But now it is good to know that I should currently avoid the use of
| anonymous categories if I want my code to run in Axiom.

You can use unnamed categories in Spad -- and in fact the Axiom
algebra does, and that is the way you build new catgories that extends
only Category.  However you do need to distinguish between ".input"
files and ".spad" files.

".input" files can contain only a very simplified and losely typed
programs.

".spad" files are where you really want to put your libraries -- you
get the full Spad language.

[...]

| > we could classify this as a bug. :-)
|
| So if SPAD cannot handle anonymous categories and is seems it cannot

It appears to me that you're confusing the Spad language and the
language you can use at the interpreter level (i.e. in ".input"
files).