Re: [Axiom-developer] noweb and SVN

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] noweb and SVN
Date: 21 Mar 2007 14:28:26 -0500

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > Typically this is not a problem because if checkout is fast
| > enough file and its dependencies get the same timestamp.
| > But sometimes we may loose race and files are needlessly
| > re-made, which again typically is not a big problem.  But
| > to re-make noweb we need noweb, so for noweb this is fatal.
|
| What kind of dependency is that? Noweb doesn't need noweb to build
| itself, so why would there be a dependency for the noweb that comes
| with the axiom sources at sourceforge?

Noweb needs noweb to build, when the generated source files timestamps
appear out of date with respect to the .nw files'.  This happens from
time to time -- especially when you make a fresh check out.  That is a
bug that happened when I incorporated noweb in the tree.
It can be worked around by first 'touch'ing noweb/src/c/*.c.

[...]

| > I think the the most natural solution for this problem is to require
| > already installed external noweb.
|
| That clearly gets my support.

I know how Tim feels about it; Bill what is your opinion?