[Axiom-developer] RE: Coming Soon: * Aldor open source release

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Coming Soon: * Aldor open source release
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:41:38 -0500

On March 5, 2007 9:20 AM Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
> Bill Page wrote:
> > Development Public CVS (Coming Soon)
>
> > Dare we hope that the long wait for an Open Source version
> > of Aldor is finally (nearly) over?
>
> It is closer, but I would not be overly optimistic. I haven't
> heard that the license issue has already been settled. And
> before that you will probably not see any source...

Has anyone ever heard exactly what this "license issue" is?
What exactly is the problem? Who objects to making Aldor open
source? And what needs to be done to satisfy those objections?

> ... except perhaps SumIt. I currently have the sources in
> order to check whether they are complete and compilable and
> everything. If I find some time slot I'll try to check it
> and send message to Stephane Dalmas so that he can put the
> sources on the web.

??? Why not put it on the web now so everyone or anyone can
check it. It seems that every time someone hesitates just
because they think it might not be "ready", everyone ends up
waiting until they almost loose all interest. If it was made
available as soon as possible without checking every little
nut and bolt then other people can share in making it right.

I think there is some problem here of philosophy or psychology
that is not compatible with mass collaboration. :-(