Re: [Axiom-developer] No progress on notangle

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] No progress on notangle
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 05:10:19 -0800 (PST)

--- Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> wrote:

> C Y <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> | This raises a question for me - I know Tim has need of a very fast
> | notangle for his work, but does Axiom actually need this kind of
> | speed?
>
> Yes!

<grin>  ask a silly question...  OK, I'll keep trying to follow what
Waldek is doing.

> From my perspective, anything that is slower (by any margin) than
> current noweb isn't worth replacing it.  Axiom builds tens of
> hundreds of algebras and noweb is invoked on all files.
> I don't want to slow down more the build.  Yes, this is religious
> issue, but it takes too long to build Axiom, which slows down the
> patch-build-test cycle.

OK...  Hmm.  What about this - I already have taught sbcl how to run
the  external notangle command for some previous work.  What if we set
it up that the lisp notangle command first looks for the external
notangle and tries to run it, but failing that falls back to the
internal one?  That way, we can make use of a pre-installed noweb if
it's available, and if that fails fall back on the lisp version.
If/when we get a faster one we simply reverse the order in which the
options are tried.  For that matter, we can add the perl one to the
list as well - I've never benchmarked that one so I can't say how fast
it is.

For the case where noweb isn't already installed, I guess it's a
question of whether the increased time of cl-notangle is greater than
the time it takes to build the regular noweb.  I haven't timed the
noweb build so I'm not sure - I don't think the 7 second difference for
boot+interp would do it but of course the real volume is in the algebra
source files which I've not yet tried.

I guess another question is whether Axiom is set up so that ./configure
can build only noweb and nothing else on request.

Cheers,
CY