Re: TR: [Axiom-developer] Request for testing (Win32 users)

From: Vanuxem Grégory
Subject: Re: TR: [Axiom-developer] Request for testing (Win32 users)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:29:45 +0100

>From Bill Page:

> > > * Bug (that is, bug in this version not present in the
> > > official one) MUST be reported to vanuxemg at yahoo dot fr
> > > and not to the official Axiom bug tracking systems,
> >
> > Do you prefer this for your own personal reasons? I do not see
> > why your work should not be included along with the other current
> > and experimental version of Axiom. It is possible to make special
> > provision (i.e. new categories) in the Axiom wiki IssueTracker
> > system to refer to your new version so that we can easily
> > distinguish to which version the issue applies.

Nothing personal. But for now the code is not public so this is
problematic. I prefer to not pollute official Axiom bugs tracker.

> > > * This is not the same version than the official one (the
> > >   code differs),
> >
> > I do not know what is really "official" any more. Juergen Weiss'
> > experimental version of Axiom on CMUCL has been discussed before
> > on this list and his original source code has been distributed.
> > Some of his changes have been incorporated into the "official"
> > sources in available via CVS and at SourceForge.
> >
> > > * This is not a fork (code in this version is destined to be
> > > included in the official version),
> > > * The source code is NOT available (sorry, not yet),
> >
> > I think it would be perfect if you would make this source available
> > as a branch in SVN at SourceForge.
> >
> > > * Do not discuss issues related to this version on the official
> > >   Axiom mailing lists unless this is explicitly permitted,
> >
> > As Tim Daly has already pointed out: no permission is required
> > to discuss any Axiom related issue on the "official" Axiom mailing
> > lists. In fact, discussing Axiom any other way seems rather
> > pointless to me.
> >
> > > * This version contains a LOT of bugs,
> >
> > I think that this is not a surprise and does not differ from other
> > current experimental versions of Axiom.
> >
> > > * This version is based on an "experimental" version of SBCL so
> > >   you'll contribute to SBCL too if you find SBCL bugs, but do
> > >   know that all of this is experimental,
> >
> > Great. I am very glad that someone has finally begun to work
> > publicly with Axiom on another version of Lisp.
> >
> > > * Do not trust its results.
> > >

> > That applies to ALL computer algebra systems - even the expensive
> > commercial ones.
> >

> > > It can be downloaded from:
> > > http://perso.orange.fr/parabola/axiom-sbcl-win.tar.bz2
> > >
> > > To use it, untar/unbzip2 it in a directory without space in its
> > > name (full path without space). Export the environment variable
> > > AXIOM, it must point to the directory that contains the algebra,
> > > bin etc... directories.
> > >
> > > So for example:
> > >
> > > set AXIOM=c:\somewhere\axiom-sbcl-win
> > >
> > > and you can start it with
> > >
> > > c:\somewhere\axiom-sbcl-win\bin\interpsys
> > >

> > Thank very much for making this available.
> >

> > > One of the most important thing to know is that this work
> > > is based on the work of Juergen Weiss (among others of course),
> > > he "ported" parts of Axiom to the CMU Common Lisp system.
> > >
> > > Many, many thanks to you, Juergen Weiss.
> > >

> > Yes, as I have said before: Juergen's work on the CMU version
> > was (and still is) critically important to the current open
> > source version of Axiom. I think it would be great if someone
> > would take on the job of making the source for the CMU version
> > available in the SourceForge SVN repository. I think there may
> > be some people who would be willing to test it further and to
> > contribute changes and improvements.

There are, already, a lot of versions of Axiom (gold, silver,
build-improvements, wh-sandbox...), I do not want to add yet another
one. Don't know how this has to be handled.

Greg

Yahoo! Mail réinvente le mail ! Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail et son
interface révolutionnaire.
http://fr.mail.yahoo.com