Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements without external noweb: is it s

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements without external noweb: is it supposed to work?
Date: 10 Feb 2007 11:28:53 -0600

"Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden> writes:

| Hello *,
|
| I've just checked out build-improvements, ./configured it and started make:
|
| address@hidden ~/build-improvements $ make
| Making in noweb
| make[1]: Entering directory `/home/grozin/build-improvements/noweb/src'
| cd c; make "CC=gcc -ansi -pedantic" "CFLAGS=" all
| make[2]: Entering directory `/home/grozin/build-improvements/noweb/src/c'
| notangle -Rheader errors.nw > errors.h
| /bin/sh: notangle: command not found
| make[2]: *** [errors.h] Error 127
| make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/grozin/build-improvements/noweb/src/c'
| make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
| make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/grozin/build-improvements/noweb/src'
| make: *** [build/i686-pc-linux/bin/notangle] Error 2
|
| I'll install noweb and try again. I just wonder: there is directory
| noweb, and, if external noweb is not found, it should be build? Or am
| I wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong.

This is a timestampe issue introduced recently when noweb was
unpackage in the source tree.  I should really fix that.
Here is how you can work around that:

    # from the top directory of the Axiom build-improvements branch
    # bring the timestamp up to date
    % (cd noweb/src/c/ && touch *.h *.c)
    # now issue make as usual
    % make

| While I'm at it, one more question. I have gcl 2.6.7 installed. It is
| in ansi mode (I need it for maxima). Will build-improvements build gcl
| in traditional mode from the sources in the gcl directory? Or it will
| simply fail? I'll see shortly, I just want to ask what it is supposed
| to do.

If gcl is visible from your PATH, then configure will pick it by
default and use it.  I have not tried gcl in ansi mode yet.
But, you can also convince Axiom's configure NOT to use the gcl from
your path (even if it found it):  add --without-gcl to your configure
command line.

| By the way, I use Gentoo current (very current, updated today
| :-). Build-improvements seems the best bet for constructing a
| reasonable ebuild, because it is distro-packager friendly. What do you
| think, is this branch ready for packaging?

one of the reasons why this branch was created was to make it
"distro-package friendly".  At the moment, I believe it supports the
traditional "./configure && make && make install", so it should be
ready for packaging.  However, it does not support cross-compilation
for deeper reasons.

| (I mean not the main
| portage tree, but an experimental overlay.) If not, when will it be
| ready for such wider testing by the Gentoo community?

It would be great if you could help in that regard!