RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom/GCL on windows

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Axiom/GCL on windows
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 03:52:29 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Bill Page wrote:

| I recall a problem similar to this in the axiom--windows--1
| build. Did you catch the patch from axiom--windows--1 in boot
| where you need to ignore CR in windows line endings?
|
| I will look at this further tomorrow.
|
| Regards,
| Bill Page.

Bill, Greg --

  I believe I solved the mystery:  After the recent reorganization I
made, the variable SPAD did not have a have a value by the time Make
did substitution -- though it has a value set in the _shell_ command
line used to invoke depsys.  Why that isn't an issue under linux is
not clear to me at this moment.

After re-reading Greg's message, I decided to trace build-interpsys
and that is how I spotted that the last argument was empty -- which is
not supposed to be.

Having two ways of saying the same thing (AXIOM and SPAD) is just
confusing and plain wrong.  I changed src/interp/Makefile to use only
AXIOM (and not SPAD).  interpsys was build successfully.
As I'm writing this message, algebra layer 1 is being built.

I also arranged the Makefile to use a relative path for $(AXIOM) during
the build -- that way, I sidestep all issues related to GCL unable to
find files with absolute pathnames not mentioning the harddrive.  At
installation time, I'll set AXIOM to the value returned by "pwd -W",
which is what GCL should be happy with.

I'll report later once the build is complete.
(the windows machine is a very slow machine, so it will take a while).

Many thanks to both of you, and sorry for having wasted your time with
a such a silly issue.  The good news is that we may be able to
build Axiom.build-improvements on windows soon :-)