Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements on cygwin

From: Ben Collins-Sussman
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements on cygwin
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:29:46 -0600

On 28 Nov 2006 23:16:38 +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis
<address@hidden> wrote:
"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| Up to revision 199 (October 26), the 'svk smerge' transactions from
| the axiom-developer.org server that are intended to synchronize the
| Google repository with the SourceForge repository were properly
| processed by Google. For reasons that I don't understand, the svk
| smerge process did not automatically create the correct branch
| structure at Google when we created 'silver' on SVN SourceForge.

I believe 'silver' was created from "scratch", so has not ancestry in
common with any other branch in the repository -- if my understand of
your famous picture is correct.  It effectively is a
"repository" within the repository  -- essentially, files are
_duplicated_ as opposed to being shared.  For me, that explains the
sudden surge.

Yep, that would explain it.  Branches are supposed to be cheap copies;
they're just a hardlink within the repository, so they're nearly
instantaneous to create and take essentially zero space when they're
first made.  I don't know what you did on sourceforge, but it sure
wasn't a normal subversion branch!

I can reset the google repository to revision 0 if you'd like.