RE: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements on cygwin

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements on cygwin
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:44:01 -0500

Ben,

We are having some problems again with our Axiom repository on
Google Code. I am copying you on the email below as background.
To make a long story short: I think we need to ask you to delete
the current repository and rebuild it again via 'svnadmin load'
as you did back on October 9 (see copy of your email below).

Since that time the size of the Axiom repository on SourceForge
has grown from 165MB to about 364M due to the creation of two
new branches. Even accounting for the larger storage factor at
Google (roughly double), I think this should still fit within
our current 750MB quota.

If you have any questions about this please ask. Also if you can
give us an update on the status of the problem which you mentioned
in October 9 message, that would be great.

On Tuesday, November 28, 2006 2:56 PM Waldek Hebisch wrote:

> Bill Page wrote:
> > But because of the space problems on Google I am not certain
> > that the Google versions of these are identical to the
> > SourceForge versions.
> >

> Google shows revision 214. It looks that we exceeded Google quota
> by creating 'silver'.

Yes, I think that is correct. Here is my attempt at post mortem:

Up to revision 199 (October 26), the 'svk smerge' transactions from
the axiom-developer.org server that are intended to synchronize the
Google repository with the SourceForge repository were properly
processed by Google. For reasons that I don't understand, the svk
smerge process did not automatically create the correct branch
structure at Google when we created 'silver' on SVN SourceForge.

Revision 214 on Google was the last of several transactions starting
with Revision 200 (including some errors) which I submitted to try
to create /silver with has the same structure as on SourceForge.
I ran a separate svk smerge job to try to transfer the contents
of 'silver' from SourceForge to Google. Revisions 200-210 appeared
to work but still resulted in wrong name and structure due to my
errors. Revision 210 was dated Sat Oct 28 03:44:24 2006.

After that I received notices each day from my svk smerge job on
the axiom-developer.org server showing that the storage quota was
exceeded on Google.

On November 15 I submitted 4 more revisons 211 to 214 which corrected
my errors by renaming and deleting unused branches. But this did not
have any positive effect at Google. Update transactions are still
not be processed.

Now I no longer even get any commit messages from Google at all
although the svk smerge job is still running each night and shows
that the local Google mirror on axiom-developer.org is being updated
successfully. It is not clear to me why I no longer seeing commit
attempts - either Google is not processing them or 'svk sync' is no
longer sending them. I have even recreated the svk google mirror
repository on axiom-developer in an attempt to re-synch. This worked
as expected but still no commit transactions seem to be attempted
at Google.

------

So I think the problems definitely were caused by the creation of
'silver'. But because we only have svn commit access to Google and
no svnadmin privileges, it seems impossible to be to correct this
problem without the intervention of people at Google.