Re: [Axiom-developer] ENV

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] ENV
Date: 22 Nov 2006 23:49:16 +0100

root <address@hidden> writes:

| > It may help to state the *specific meaning* of ENV in POSIX shells. I
| > looked at the man page for bash and it says:
| >
| >   "When invoked as an interactive shell with the name sh, bash looks for
| > the variable ENV, expands its value  if  it  is defined,  and uses the
| > expanded value as the name of a file to read and execute."
| >
| > So I can imagine a call to "$ENV sh something" in a makefile to explode.
| > What actually happened?
|
| The shell never sees "$ENV".

It does.  That is it blew up.

[...]

| Every programmer knows that the name of a variable in a local
| context can be overloaded. I can't imagine why this is even a
| point of discussion.

Because some programmer thought that he/she can grab anything and turn
it into a Make local variables.

| There should be NO confusion between a
| variable in a makefile and a variable in a shell.

But, the author of ENV had carefully designed something that made the
confusion between the two expansion happen.

I did not send out the message out of theory.  Get serious, man.