Re: [Axiom-developer] ENV

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] ENV
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 16:57:33 -0500

> | ok. s/ENV/GABY/ everywhere.
>
> Tim, you don't have fixate on me.  As I said, the solution is to use
> MAKEFLAGS.  That variable was designed specifically for those kinds
> of things.

sigh. missed the point.....
s/ENV/TIM/ everywhere.

> | everything will still work.
> | ENV is just a local name created 20 years ago.
>
> Not just because it was created 20 years ago means that its usage is
> correct today.  The world did not stop spining while Axiom was
> hibernating.

There is an interaction between the shell variable mechanism,
the way make expands and overrides variables, and the command line.

Axiom's makefile sets AWK=gawk for some platforms.
The AWK variable is collected up in the ENV variable thus:

ENV = .... AWK=${AWK} ...

The way axiom's makefile work you can override the make variables
on the command line thus:

make AWK=nawk

but it appears that this is not true with MAKEFLAGS

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2004-June/007479.html