Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice
Date: 22 Nov 2006 20:44:44 +0100

root <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| axiom could be so much faster if we got the gcl_collectfn mechanism
| fully re-implemented. the lisp type optimization code can eliminate
| hundreds of intructions per function call and axiom lives and breathes
| by function calling. however to fully take advantage of that you
| either need to do multiple passes or cache the type information
| from previous builds.

Notice that bootsys could (and should) be augmented to generate the
proclaim type information at the same time as it is translating from
Boot to Lisp.

[...]

| second, only developers care about build time.

Developer time is precious.  Especially, when you have only a few of them.

| the end user should
| never see it (or maybe see it once). i'd rather spend a whole day
| doing a build and get a highly optimized algebra system than spend
| 1 hour and get a slow algebra system. and that's saying a lot because
| all i ever do is build and rebuild the damn thing.

You can chose the trade you want.

I want fast alegbra *and* fast build.  Fast build means I can try and
iterate patches and ideas several times in a day.