Re: [Axiom-developer] ht.awk

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] ht.awk
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 03:31:23 +0100 (CET)

> Does somebody know where the file ht.awk is?
>
> All the .ht files say...
>
> % !! DO NOT MODIFY THIS FILE BY HAND !! Created by ht.awk.
>
> So if there is/were a script that generates the .ht files, why keep them
> under source code control?

I think we can forget about 'ht.awk': the whole process could not
be very complicated, so it should be easy to create a new script.
But the bigger problem is which workflow _we_ want to have?  IMO
we should stick to a small controlled subset of latex as a main
format and generate rest from it (the point is that once we allow
more Latex features we will spent more time developing tools then
writing documentation).

There is a second problem: .ht files in general contain more precise
markup then 'book.pamphlet', but some differences may be due to
editing done by Tim.  ATM the main difference I see is that
book contains Tex formulas, but hypertex pages use textual output
from Axiom.

> And, Waldek, didn't you say that also the .pht files are generated?

I put the following in 'src/hyper/Makefile.pamphlet':

In the long term, the [[.pht]] and viewports should be generated at either
build time or installation time using commands like:
\begin{verbatim}
             rm -f ht.db
             ${HTADD} *.ht
             for A in `ls *.ht`; do ${SMAN} -paste $$a ; done
             rm -f ht.db
             ${HTADD} *.ht *.pht
\end{verbatim}

Hypertex has special code to extract parts of .ht file and prepare
.input file for Axiom.  Once .input is ready Hypertex tells
AXIOMsys to execute it, writing output to a file.  Then Hypertex
should collect the output into .pht page.

This 'almost' works: some pages are nicely generated, but on other
it stops and one has manually quit Axiom.  It seems that Hypertex
has problem detecting that AXIOMsys finished writing output file.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden