RE: [Axiom-developer] src/hyper/Makefile.in

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] src/hyper/Makefile.in
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:40:39 -0500

On Tuesday, November 14, 2006 3:50 PM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> ... Ill also create a branch for trying to improve the compiler.
> One of my goals is to remove the requirement for ')abbrev'
> commands,  "extend", and better dependent types.
>
> If we have post facto extensions, I believe we can significantly
> reduce the complexity of the bootstrapping process.

My number one wish for improving the *SPAD* compiler is:

   Better compiler error messages!

For me, this is the number one reason for strongly prefering Aldor.
In fact without starting in Aldor first, I still find it very
difficult to write fluently in SPAD.

The number two reason only being language features such as fully
supported dependent types and extend.

> I would also like the interpreter being a kind of Spad algebra
> over the compiler. Maybe that would also give a good way to
> bnatural, and better support for generic programming (good for
> Axiom!).

If by "Spad algebra over the compiler" you mean: implementing the
interpreter in SPAD rather than Boot and Lisp, then I think this
was clearly the original intention of (at least some of) the Axiom
developers. Boot is really a kind of pre-SPAD.

Finally "better support for generic programming" sounds a little
frightening to me, but I can't think of anyone better suited to
do this than you, Gaby. :-)