Re: [Axiom-developer] New branch?

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] New branch?
Date: 14 Nov 2006 16:25:53 +0100

Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

| I consider starting a new branch.  I feel that Axiom needs a period
| of faster developement, in particular removing and/or cleaning old
| code.
|
| General directions:
| -- generate all information that can be generated (documentation,
|    images, databases)
| -- remove unused code (both old and new but unfinished)
| -- rework file handling (current code is buggy, complicated and
|    inefficient)
| -- improve SPAD compiler
|
| My goals partially overlap with goals of build-improvements, but
| I reached a point where I need deeper changes (including compiler)
| to support better build.  Also, unused/needlessy complicated code
| makes changes and understanding harder, so I think that cleanups
| and removals should be done quickly -- accepting risks of
| temporary breakage.

>From my priority list, "improve SPAD compiler" has a strong list.
I do hope there is no duplicate effort there.  Yesterday, I was
considerig gdr-sandbox from build-improvements, but maybe we should
just work on compiler-improvements branch and deal with the merges?

As for the databse, I have strong feeling that we should not
underestimate the work done by the dynamic libraries community.