RE: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements on ia64

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements on ia64
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 15:47:00 -0500

On November 9, 2006 3:15 PM Richard Harke wrote:

> I built gcl manually per suggestion. Based on suggestions
> I used the following configure command:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local \
> --enable-vssize=65536*2 --enable-maxpage=256*1024 \
> --disable-x --disable-xgcl --disable-tkconfig

Good.

> After installing gcl, I configured Axiom:
> ./configure --with-gcl
>
> During make, I have problem with bootsys:
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/harke/Axiom-svn/build-improvements/src/boot'
> Building stage 1
> [ -d stage1 ] || ../../config/mkinstalldirs stage1
> make OBJECTS="boothdr.o exports.o npextras.o ptyout.o
> btincl2.o btscan2.o
> typrops.o btpile2.o typars.o tyextra.o tytree1.o" bootsys
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/home/harke/Axiom-svn/build-improvements/src/boot'
> echo '(boottran::boottocl "ptyout.boot")' | prev-stage/bootsys
> GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.8 CLtL1    Nov  8 2006 19:12:07
> Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd,xgcl)
> Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (UNEXEC)
> Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a
> compatible license
> Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter
>
> Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
> Temporary directory for compiler files set to /tmp/
>

> Error: Caught fatal error [memory may be damaged]

If this problem persists after re-building with a fresh copy of
the Axiom source (see below), it might be a bit hard to diagnose
with only the information above. :-) My first suggestion is to
look for the possibility of another error somewhere earlier in
the build.

Since this looks like the error occurred quite early in the Axiom
build process, the problem might be a gcl problem so it would
also probably be worthwhile to double check the log of the gcl
build. You could try also some simple confidence tests of gcl's
ability to save a working system such as:

  $ gcl
  > (+ 1 1)
  > (si::save-system "gcl-test1")

  $ ./gcl-test1
  > (+ 1 1)
  > (compiler::link nil "gcl-test2")
  > (quit)

  $ ./gcl-test2
  > (+ 1 1)
  > (quit)

If you get stuck, it might be useful if you could make a copy of
the console log available for review.

> Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
> Error signalled by EVAL.
> Broken at BOOTTRAN:BOOTTOCL.  Type :H for Help.
> >>make[3]: *** [ptyout.clisp] Error 255
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/home/harke/Axiom-svn/build-improvements/src/boot'
> make[2]: *** [stage1/bootsys] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/harke/Axiom-svn/build-improvements/src/boot'
> make[1]: *** [boot/stamp] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/harke/Axiom-svn/build-improvements/src'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>

> I have been doing a make clean between attempts but I think
> some file times don't reflect this. I tried make dist-clean but
> didn't work. What is the best way to reset?

I recommend that you do an "out of source" build. This means
that Axiom is built in a different directory then where the
source distribution exists.

To do this, first use svn to check-out a clean copy of the
Axiom source to some directory, e.g. ~/axiom.improvements.
After that you will not change anything in that directory.
Instead, create a 2nd directory, e.g.

  $ mkdir ~/axiom.build
  $ cd ~/axiom.build
  $ ../axiom.improvements/configure --with-gcl

This will setup the ~/axiom.build directory with just the
subdirectories and makefiles needed for the build. Then

  $ make

builds all of the axiom intermediate files and the final target
in this 2nd directory.

If the build fails and you want to start entirely from scratch
then just delete the contents of this directory and issue the
configure command again:

  $ rm -rf *
  $ ../axiom.improvements/configure --with-gcl