RE: [Axiom-developer] GCL loader option

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] GCL loader option
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 05:28:00 -0500

On Wednesday, November 08, 2006 4:52 AM Richard Harke wrote:

> I'm attempting to build the build-improvements branch on linux-ia64
> build stops with message
> Exactly one loader option must be chosen: dlopen=yes statsysbfd=no
>        dynsysbfd=no locbfd=yes custreloc=no
>
> I have only a vague idea of what these mean and no idea how
> to make the choice into the build process.
>
> This seems to be coming from configure for gcl-2.6.8pre

Apparently the build-improvments ./configure script does not find
bfd.h and libbfd on your system so it chooses to try to build gcl
with --disable-statsysbfd --enable-locbfd which unfortunately
seems to conflict with gcl's default for the ia64 platform.

You could try to build and install gcl first before attempting to
build build-improvements. That would allow you to specify the exact
options to use with gcl. I suggest:

$ tar xzf ~/build-improvements/zips/gcl-2.6.8pre.tgz
$ cd gcl-2.6.8pre
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --disable-dlopen --disable-statsysbfd
\
--enable-locbfd --enable-vssize=65536*2 --enable-maxpage=256*1024 \
--disable-x --disable-xgcl --disable-tkconfig
$ make
$ make install

If that succeeds, then continue with build-improvements using

$ cd ~/build-improvments
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-gcl
$ make