RE: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 22:39:09 -0500

On Tuesday, November 07, 2006 9:37 PM Gaby wrote:

> So, what concretly do you propose as course of action?

I propose that we remove axiom.bib.pamphlet.

There is no axiom.bib.tex as far as I can tell - only axiom.bib.

But the idea of including citations to pamphlet files seems ill-
conceived to me. There is no documentation in the axiom.bib.pamphlet
file itself but in src/doc/Makefile.pamphlet we can read:

--------

\section{The bibtex stanza}
Axiom pamphlet files have citations. We collect all of the
pamphlet file citations into this one file so we have a standard
place and format for bibliographic references.

Citations of pamphlet files which are local are generally by the
name. For example, [[asq.c.pamphlet]] would be cited using
[[\cite{asq.c}]].

--------

But as far as I can tell this method is not actually used in any
other pamphlet file. Looking at the contents of axiom.bib I see
many non-unique entries.Further, I don't see how this wculd work
in the case where there are multiple root code chunks in a single
pamphlet file (e.g. algebra/*.spad.pamphlet).

I think that in future updates to the pamphlet files we should
encourage the use hyperref where relevant to include hypertex
links directly in the dvi/pdf files. See for example:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/book--main--1/Endpaper3

which contains hyperlinks in the graphics.