Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 14:42:48 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Camm Maguire wrote:

| Greetings!
|
| If someone has a moment, could someone please explain to me the
| relationship between the various axiom branches, and which one is
| connected to an 'official release', and if same at such time will
| accompany a tarball or not.

Hi Camm,

  As you see the project is a bit unfocused at the moment.

However, there are basically three branches:

  * silver -- this is a dayly mirror of the source bas ethat Tim uses.
    It is effectively read-only, even if theoretically you could
    commit there.  How it should evolve is unclear, and a lot of
    debate is going on.

  * build-improvements -- this is a branch that I maintain.  Its goal
    is to bring Axiom to a state where the build machinery is
    simplified for both developers and end-users: Ideallym they should
    just say

       ./configure && make && make install

    I'm using Autoconf (no Automake at the moment).  You can commit to
    that branch if you have write access to the SourceForge repository.
    When completed, it will be proposed for merge to the main source.

    People have been able to build and run Axiom from
    build-improvements on systems that traditional releases of Axiom
    where unable to support.

    I did not originally anticipate making tarballs out of that
    branch, but repeated experience with students and some users
    around here had shown that I need to make a tarball.  I've done
    that but, not officially.  Depending on how all this issue
    developed, how much of interest it generates, and how long it
    takes to complete the branch, I may have to make regular tarballs
    out of that branch.  But, it is not something I planned on.  It is
    up to the community.

  * the third branch is by Antoine.  It "looks" less active at the
    moment. I'm not really qualified to comment.