Re: [Axiom-developer] Aldor compilation for Axiom

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Aldor compilation for Axiom
Date: 06 Nov 2006 08:34:04 +0100

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> could someone tell me what ")compile blah.as" is actually doing in Axiom?
>
> It is certainly more than saying
>
> aldor -O -Fasy -Fao -Flsp -laxiom -Mno-AXL_W_WillObsolete -DAxiom -Y
> $AXIOM/algebra blah.as
>
> (without having an Axiom session running).
>
> I think someone once said that )compile calls aldor with the above flags and
> then also generates object files from the .lsp files. How could I achieve that
> from outside Axiom? Or is it enough to provide the .lsp files and the
> compilation to object files is triggered when the code is first used?
>
> Further, I actually have a whole library (several .as files). What would be
> the
> right procedure to compile them externally (I want to do that via Makefiles)
> and then provide some nice mechanism to load the compiled library into Axiom.
>
> I just need a rough overview.

If you say

> aldor -O -Fasy -Fao -Flsp -laxiom -Mno-AXL_W_WillObsolete -DAxiom -Y
> $AXIOM/algebra blah.as

then

axiom

then

)lib blah

it should work. I guess that in this case the lisp is interpreted rather than
compiled. But usually, that doesn't matter anyway, at least not for
development.

Unfortunately,

)lib )dir .

(as described in HyperDoc) doesn't work properly in this case, I have no idea
why. The signatures seem to get loaded, but calling a function makes axiom
stumble.

Martin