[Axiom-developer] axiom for trigonometric functions again...

From: Francois Maltey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] axiom for trigonometric functions again...
Date: 05 Nov 2006 20:54:04 +0100

Hello,

I used axiom last year and I was afflicted because I couldn't use axiom
for the little computations I make with/for my students.

This list gave me pretty advices, but my attempts for improving
trigonometric functions in manip.spad failled.
Changing this file is to difficult for me.

However Axiom is the better free computer algebra system,
so I use it again this year even if I can't do what I want !

Now I'll try to make my own little package for pretty expand, combine and
rewrite functions only over Expression Integer and Expression Complex Integer.

In fact I try today to get a nice result for this exercice I'll give to my
students :

   sum ((cos x)^k * cos (k*x), k=0..n)

Is it possible to load at the boot-time the packages or the
functions that we prefer ?

So I won't need to type expand$MyExpand (cos (3*x/2)) but only expand
(cos (3*x/2)) in the interpreter, even if my expand function in
MyExpand.spad package will use sometimes the expand function of the
manip.spad file.

For this example axiom prefers real (sum ((cos x)^k * exp(%i*k*x), k=0..n))
to sum ((cos x)^k * cos (k*x), k=0..n).

Where can be the nice rewrite command trigo. to exp. added ? in sum.spad ?

Long life to axiom.

Francois, in France.