Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: 04 Nov 2006 19:35:16 +0100

root <address@hidden> writes:

| > On a regular bases, we branch off SILVER to make release branches.
| > For example, we could decide that next Tuesday, we will branch off
| > for Axiom 4.1.0.  A release branch from SILVER will be created for
| > that purpose. That branch will have stricter rules for checking than
| > for SILVER.  For example, we would not fiddle with/upgrade GCL
| > versions there.  Only bug fixes will be applied to release branches
| > (GOLD).  After the initial major release from that branch (GOLD), we
| > will be making minor releases from there, say Axiom 4.1.3 that are
| > only regression bug fixes. (Ideally, we should not have regressions,
| > but that happens only in dream, especially with with impenetrable
| > systems).
|

| > In parallel, SILVER develops its life.  Any bug fixes to release
| > branches (that also happen to be present on SILVER) must first be
| > tested on SILVER before being applied to a release branch (GOLD).
| > SILVER is less restricted than release branches in the sense that it
| > contains "experimental" phases where more features are added [say we
| > have drag-n-drop, integration of ACL, SPAD understands dependent
| > types, or we get rid of ')abbrev' command to introduce types, or that
| > SPAD understands "extend" for extending domains, etc.]  This is
| > usually the time where development branches are merged to SILVER.
| > Then, there should be a period where we make "pause" in the feature
| > accretion, stabilize for release purposes, then branch off for the
| > next major release (say 4.2.0) (GOLD).
|

| > People will create experimental branches from SILVER.  There are
| > well-defined rules about how an experimental branch gets merged to
| > SILVER.  No experimental branch gets merged to an existing release
| > branch.
|

| > During the process, we should try to do everything possible to
| > increase the number of people that understands the system.  This
| > includes, better documentation.  Even those who understand the system
| > should justify their changes.
|

| > People should apply their patches directly, instead of going through
| > a single person.  The sources should be immediately available.  We
| > should use less superstition, e.g. "don't touch because it currently
| > works."  SILVER should be open to move more aggressively in its
| > "experimental" phase.  Release branches (GOLD), must be conservative.
|

| > Notice that in my model, no changes get merged to a release branch
| > if it is not a regression bug fix (GOLD).  Any new functionality
| > should appear in the next major release SILVER.  Everything is
| > publically available in a lively fashion.  The most stable branch
| > (to serve a release source) and the main SILVER.
| >
| > To my mind, we can have many repo if that is felt necessary, but: only
| > one repo is the master (GOLD), others are mirrors to simplify our lives.
|

| > Now, I understand that is not what we have; I'm trying to see how it
| > can be approximated and made to work.
|

| I made a minor name-edit to your text to reflect my understanding
> [...]

I believe your edit probably reflects your ideas, but I do not believe
you represented the differences in our approaches correctly, in particular
I believe it is a mischaracterization to think the essential
difference is being you in charge of the release branches.
Consequently, let me go over again, before going on family life.

The model I presented, and your edits do not reflect existing
practice.  Notice that in my model, release branches are made from
Trunk (your SILVER) on a *regular basis* to make a new major release.
After that, the release branches continue their lives as minor release
for regression bug fixes only.  That is not the current model.

In my model, the Trunk (yoru SILVER) has phases were it is more
experimental and more aggressive in capabilities.  After such an
experimental phase, it goes into stabilization, then branch for a new
major release.

In my model, all branches, including release and Trunk are "live".

Try to work out those points.  If you believe you agree with them, we
wouold have agreed on the essential aspects.  And we would have made a
major change.

But, please, refrain your presenting the essential differences as you
just did.

Don't base decisions on mischaracterizations.