Re: [Axiom-developer] viewport in build-improvements

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] viewport in build-improvements
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 14:04:58 +0100

Hello,

On 11/02/2006 01:04 PM, Waldek Hebisch wrote:
Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
Sure many files *look* like text files, but you have heard Tim saying that

1) a SCM should never change the line ending format

Tell that to Windows folks.

Well, as you see, I did not (yet) remove the svn:eol-style property from the .pamphlet files in the SourceForge trunk for exactly that reason. But I tend to agree with Bill when he said that we should simply introduce the rule: Axiom uses Unix-style line endings, no matter on which OS you are working.

2) some files are random access files. If SVN replaces \n by \r\n at checkout time, they are corrupt, since the byte count at the beginning of the file does not work anymore.

.ht, .pht, .bitmap, .pixmap, .xbm and .data in Axiom distribution are
text files.  Hyperdoc uses byte counts to access .ht and .pht, but
the file positions should be recomputed anyway.

Since I don't live too deep in .ht and .pht things, what does that mean?
Do you want to recompute the byte-offsets at the time these files are copied to the /mnt directory? If you do that then it clearly classifies those files as being generated and no source anymore. Then they should not live under SVN at all.

Postscript files are more tricky: .ps files in Axiom distribution
are text files, but in general Postscript may contain binary data.

Ooops. I didn't know that also postscript can contain binary stuff. I thought that binaries (pictures) are somehow converted into some 7bit ASCII before they go into a .ps file. I must be wrong, but I cannot rememeber that I have ever looked at a .ps with binary data. Maybe I did not look closely enough.

I think in the future we should decide if we want binary Postscript
in source repository (ATM I did not touch .ps files).

I somehow believe that sooner or later at least the pictures that are generated from Axiom commands will go away.

The HyperDoc screenshots are probably more tricky to generate automatically at compile-time.

Ralf