Re: [Axiom-developer] paths to viewport in build-improvements

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] paths to viewport in build-improvements
Date: 28 Oct 2006 01:14:02 +0200

Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

| I looked at hypertex pages and AFAICS I can use a simple sed script
| in a loop to fix paths in .pht files:
|
| sed 's,/doc/viewports/,/share/viewports/,g'
|
| After copying images from silver (to correct corruption which I described
| in anothe mail) and applying this script I was able to see graphic
| examples in build-imporvements.
|
| However, I am not sure if the new path that is '$AXIOM/share/viewports'
| is a good one. Namely, both viewports are machine independent. OTOH
| $AXIOM points to a machine dependent directory. So using
| '$AXIOM/share/viewports' does not allow sharing (without symlink trickery)
| of machine independent binaries.  Comments in the source state that NAG
| version used '$AXIOM/../../share/viewports' which allow easy sharing.
| If we agree that last part of '$AXIOM' corresponds to architecture specific
| subdirectory, then also '$AXIOM/../share/viewports' would allow sharing.
|
| The same issue of sharing affect hypertex pages: currently they use
| '$AXIOM/share/hypertex/pages', which conflicts with sharing, while
| '$AXIOM/../share/hypertex/pages' would allow it.

This is an issue I was hoping to resolve very late in the process :-)

More precisely, the machine independent stuff should go into
$prefix/share/axiom/$axiomversion/.  However, I have not decided on
that yet because I'm still thinking of it.  So, for the moment, I
would say $AXIOM/share/viewports is good enough.

(Also, the axiom script should go into $prefix/bin, possibly suffixed
with version number and a hardlink "axiom" to that suffixed script).

However, I think neither $AXIOM/../.. nor $AXIOM/../ is "right".

(Also, $AXIOM needs to lose "target", and the machine dependent stuff
should be installed in $libexec.)

As for the files, Ralf did the correct thing in setting the properties.