[Axiom-developer] Patch for SPADEDIT

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Patch for SPADEDIT
Date: 27 Oct 2006 09:46:21 +0200

Dear Tim, Gaby,

since Ralf asked me yesterday, and since I find it quite useful, I'd ask you to
include the proposed fix for issue #144

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/144DomainAbbreviationIsNoLongerAssociatedWithFilename

in your next distribution. For simplicity, I reproduce it here:

Save the following as $AXIOM/lib/SPADEDIT and make it executable, and replace
the call to emacs by your favorite text editor. In fact, maybe one should
change the code to call the dvi file or at least the pamphlet:

#! /bin/bash
## get the filename

f=$(basename $1 .spad)

## get the file and the line number. We can assume that grep produces only one
## answer, I guess.
## (replace $AXIOM/src/algebra/* by the directory containing pamphlets if you
## prefer them)

h=$(grep -n ")abb.* $f " $AXIOM/src/algebra/*)

## get the filename

name=${h%%:*}

## get the number

number1=${h#*:}
number=${number1%:*}

## start emacs

emacs +$number $name

There are some things which are questionable:

the last line needs configuring. For example, I modified it to

          gnuclient +$number $name

Some people even might want to display the pamphlet instead. This would be
quite trivial to fix, if the pamphlets were installed. Currently, they
aren't.

We could also display the dvi, but then src/scripts/document would have to call
latex with "-src-specials" or, if that is not available, we would have to
include the file srcltx in every pamphlet.

There is yet another issue: It seems that latex -source-specials puts the
absolute path of the original file into the dvi. I guess that at least kdvi
won't mind for forward search (i.e., when clicking on INT.spad in HyperDoc the
correct line will appear), but inverse search, (i.e., clicking in the dvi file
to display the source) won't work. Maybe Ralf has a solution for that problem,
but really, it will likely be easier to switch to allprose anyway.

I cannot really imagine that there are people not using emacs ;-)

Martin