RE: [Axiom-developer] GIT

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] GIT
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:45:22 -0400

Onednesday, October 25, 2006 6:21 PM Waldek Hebisch wrote:

> Bill Page wrote:
> > Well, the procedure that we agreed on (I think) was the Tim
> > would be solely responsible for committing changes to Silver
> > (axiom--silver-1 == SVN /trunk). Tim's preferred way to do this
> > is entirely a manual process - send him patches and copy the
> > axiom-developer list. Personally I think Tim's decision to do
> > this a bit misguided in this day and age, but that is another
> > topic that we discussed many months ago... "old dogs, new tricks",
> > etc., no need to go into that again. :-)
> >

> My understanding was different: that Tim agreed to "publish" his
> changes and make them available in silver, but the idea was to
> have also extra patches from other people. IIRC Gaby agreed to
> maintain silver, to ensure that extra patches do not impose
> extra load on Tim.

I think we have to be *really* clear about this. Is this orkflow
what you mean?

                                  Gaby

                                   \|/
    tla                  Tailor               svn
Tim ---> axiom--silver--1 ---> SF SVN /trunk <--- other people
                                 (silver)

                                    | ???
                                   \|/

                                  Gold

But I am not sure how to implement the ??? process. I thought that
Tim was still responsible to create Axiom Gold.  Maybe we can use
svn to create diffs which are sent to Tim for his processing.

So the workflow would be like this:

                                  Gaby

                                   \|/
    tla                  Tailor               svn
Tim ---> axiom--silver--1 ---> SF SVN /trunk <--- other people
                                 (silver)
               |                    | diffs
               |                   \|/
               |                       tla