Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: doyen

From: Alfredo Portes
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: doyen
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:19:24 -0400

Alejandro,

OK, some feedback:

1. I could not run properly doyen04262005 on my machine at home because it
produced some ammount of cloop readerror messages. It run fine on an older
machine at the office, though. Sadly, there is no md5 file to check the iso
file. Anyway, I have found that this Knoppix version boots on that old PC much
faster than the FC3 based doyen081306 on the faster machine. It takes over
five minutes. Too much!

Something is wrong. Doyen does not take 5 minutes to load, not even in
a virtual machine. Can you give me the specs of the machine you are
testing please (memory - cpu - cdrom speed).

I think the doyen04262005 iso should be removed, updated or replace by the FC3.

2. I have played a little bit with the doyen wiki sandbox, executing a few
Axiom and Maxima commands, and writing some LaTeX equations. I think that
this is all that the tutorial shows that can be done right now.

The improvement of the Doyen Wiki is a work in progress :-). I will
try to put up
http://doyen.sytes.net/ again so anybody improve the content.

For this little
test, I have found the display of LaTeX and Axiom output formulas is fine,
except for roots. I would prefer fractional exponents as in $(a^2)^(3/5)$. I
find confusing a root sign with 2,3 and 5 located in three different places
around the $a$. Maxima output, on the other hand, looks very bad with those $
signs.

This will be fixed in the next version.

3. I have tried an Axiom plot but got an error message:

draw(sin(x),x=0..%pi)
    >> System error:
    Cannot create the file /tmp/gazonk0.fn.

Maxima plots do not work as gnuplot is missing. Indeed it should be added.

I am assuming you did this inside the wiki. This is not supported yet. Maybe we
can discuss this with Bill of what is needed to accomplish this.

4. I have observed that this implementation is based on a web browser as GUI,
using png files for displaying math. I wonder why not using mathml instead.
One disadvantage of the current approach is the generation of png litter.

I have also read the Sage documentation (I will try to download it later on).
What I have understood is that they use javascript instead, but not how.

And yet another approach is that of TeXmacs. Indeed, I have found that
TeXmacs-Axiom works fine under Windows and Linux, except for ploting. So, I
beleive that it is an application that fits naturally here. In fact, I was also
expecting to find it inside...

That is an open question to somebody else in the list. Bill ? :-)

5. One subproduct say, of your development is that the doyen CD seems to have
a fairly complete TeX installation. This is missing, in the live CDs that I
have seen up to now. It could be useful eg in case of needing a working TeX
system where it is not available.

Ok. Maybe you can help me with this.

6. The non uniform default background for the console window is bothersome to
my taste. I change it every time.

You mean the transparency. :-). (personal taste, my bad).

7. The Session Saver says that it has saved successfully the file
doyenWikiDB.tar.gz in /home/doyen but it saves nothing.

Are you sure of this. Try to save to /home/doyen/Desktop and let me
know. Maybe there is a bug.

8. Sooner or later, the accumulation of material will force a move to a DVD as
media, but before of that, I think that there are some packages that could be
safely removed without affecting the functionality of this distro as a
scientific platform.

It is true, but I need to be careful because is not just removing, but
removing things that do not brake the system and provide a substantial
gain in space.

9. My USB drive is not mounted at boot nor any entry for it is made in
/etc/fstab. Anyway, I can mount it later on.

Can you open a bug report for this.

Thank you,

Alfredo