Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and more-rules.mk

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and more-rules.mk
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 05:41:12 +0200 (CEST)

> Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > I agree that algebra bootstrap should be revisited.  But IMHO the
> > main work to do is outside Makefiles: I think that algebra should
> > build just from spad files using Spad compiler and almost empty
> > databases.
>
> Agree, but that's more than just the main work - it's a massive
> undertaking.

I think it is easier then you think.  At the begining one has no
idea what to do.  But once you start changing things the system
break down and studing breakage teaches you a lot how it works.
And regardles of how much work it takes it must be done: IMO system
which has huge uneditable blobs as "sources" too hard to maintain.

> One possibility might be to see of the axiom_cmu port (which greatly
> simplifies things in general) builds in that form on GCL - that's
> something I never tried.  A little preliminary poking suggests some
> make file changes would be needed, at a minimum...

AFAICS axiom_cmu build algebra the same way as GCL version. Main difference
is that axiom_cmu makes some ANSI corrections (but not enough to compile
it using SBCL), and skips boot directory.  Motivated by axiom_cmu I
made a patch to build-improvement branch which skips boot directory:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2006-10/msg00039.html

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden