Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [M#73697383] Re: Disk-quota Request

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [M#73697383] Re: Disk-quota Request
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 11:59:22 -0400

> You are the only one I know who would seriously think of keeping
> video in their *source code* control system! Of course it's a
> matter of perspective. What do we want to do with which tools?

Where the tutorial shows a picture and a bunch of words about
how to interact with hyperdoc you could insert video clips that
are run in place that give more in-depth information.

The new Sony Reader
http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/assets/itpd/reader/reader_features.html
is capable of displaying these kind of literate documents.

> When you say "integral part of the axiom src distribution" why
> do you assume that it must be via subversion, cvs, Arch, etc.?

when you're documenting the internals of the interpreter or talking
about the theory behind a domain (perhaps a recording of a talk on
DH matrices) you have the video clip switching between views
of a speaker and views of the source code that implements the
transformations. the goal is to bring someone up-to-speed rapidly
on the details of the code. once the code is modified the
clip would be re-recorded to update the literate document.

we're trying to write for humans, not computers, so the question
of what is 'source code' is intimately bound up with the target
audience.

> As far as I am concerning things like video belong on a web site.
> As you said, this *is* the 21st century...

sure it's on a website. but the website is local on the doyen CD.
using the browser to play the clips, allow hyperlinking (although
camtasia allows hyperlinking from inside the clips), and doing
picture-in-picture kind of source code explanations are all
reasonable ideas.

you've made the assumption that a 'website' has to be on the web
which is not the case at all. in fact, the latest work of recoding
the hyperdoc in an ajax environment assumes local access to local
axiom databases. you clearly want to use the local database because
they reflect your own code. it's all in a browser, it's all in a
website but it's not on the web.