Re: [Axiom-developer] Working in the boot package

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Working in the boot package
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:01:00 -0400

> I want to work in the boot package. Is it possible from the interpreter
> to open a gcl prompt with all the Axiom packages loaded and, it's _very
> important_, all the internal variables set? If I work with depsys some
> variables are not set so its behavior is different. Just an example
> (MERGE-PATHNAMES "TEST") in depsys returns #p"/usr/local/axiom/mnt/TEST"
> but in the interpreter it returns "#p"TEST" or #p"/home/greg/Axiom/TEST"
> if I modified the AXIOM default directory with ')cd /home/greg/Axiom'.
> Of course I know that it's possible to use ')lisp lisp-code' but this is
> not practical.

There are at least several ways.

The one I usually use is to type:

  -> )lisp (setq |$DALYMODE| t)

This is a special mode of the interpreter.
ANY expression that starts with an open paren is
interpreted as a lisp expression. Thus, after you
do this you can type lisp expressions at the prompt:

  -> (+ 2 3)
Value = 5

Another method is to type:

  -> )lisp (break)

which will put you into a lisp break loop (a recursive
version of the top level loop). To return back to axiom type

BOOT>> :q

at the lisp prompt.

A third method is to type:

  -> )lisp (throw |$intTopLevel| nil)

which will put you back into the lisp top level. To return
to axiom type:

BOOT> (restart)