RE: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 00:05:20 -0400

On Tuesday, September 26, 2006 11:47 PM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

>   The time it takes to build Axiom is prohibitive.
>
> If the build is done only once a day, that is probably alright.
> However, when several iterations are done in a day, it becomes
> unbearable.
>
> What can be done to improve the build time?
>
> -- Gaby
> PS: yes, I consider that I have relatively "fast" machines.

After eliminating the obvious like avoiding building the docs
and running the tests, the next thing you probably need to do
is find a way to compile SPAD faster. Right now, interpsys is
loaded and compiles a single SPAD file, then quits for each of
1,042 files. In principle it should be possible to compile many
SPAD files in a single call to interpsys - say one call per
layer in the algebra build.

Also, interpsys (really the embedded GCL) runs gcc for each
SPAD compile to compile the generated lisp to object code.
Is there some way to make starting gcc faster?