Re: [Axiom-developer] Literated VMLISP.LISP.PAMPHLET

From: Frithjof Schulze
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Literated VMLISP.LISP.PAMPHLET
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:32:09 +0200

Kai Kaminski <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1) Shouldn't mathematical symbols always be set in math mode, ie. 'the
>    field $F$' instead of 'the field F'?
>
> 2) Isn't maybe 'Theory' a nicer heading than 'The underlying theory'?
>    It's shorter and conveys the same information. Clearly a matter of
>    style, though.
>
> 3) How about bibliography entries for introductory books or online
>    articles on eigenvalues?

Unfortunately all introductory textbooks I know are in german, but I
will look if I can find something appropriate. Also I don't really know
how to set mathematics in latex. Do you know about an introduction?
There is a lot about what fonts and symbols exists, but I would need
something about when to use what font or mode.

> I would think so, too. Maybe one could have include files for
> different purposes, eg one for linear algebra, another one for group
> theory etc.
>
> It would be really nice to have a somewhat unified notation. Since
> defining one is an awful lot of work, maybe we could borrow some ideas
> from the different math sites on the web (MathWorld, for example).

Yes. And there should be a reference some where in the wiki. Even if it
is just a reference which pamphlet defines a special notation.

> PS: I tried to edit the page to remove a typo or two, but it kept
> nagging me to register, even though I already did that. I can also
> edit other pages. Any idea?

Is it possible that I locked the page with zope-external-edit? It still
doesn't really works here.

Frithjof