RE: [Axiom-developer] Papers on Indefinites

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Papers on Indefinites
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 15:28:42 -0400

Cliff,

On September 17, 2006 2:45 PM you wrote:

> Clearly I have some homework to do on this topic, and it's
> important enough that I want to be sure I have the correct
> sources. Looking over the archive links Bill provided (thanks Bill!)
> it looks like papers by Davenport and Fateman are recommended reading.
> Are these the specific papers in question?

Yes, they are relevant but not central to the issue that you raised.
In fact the concept of "indefinities" was coined by Tim Daly. After
reading about the idea, I do not think that this formulation of the
issue (which is essentially based on proof theory and logic) is the
right approach for Axiom. Really I would prefer a more "algebraic"
approach. I think the paper by Steven Watt referred to in the
following thread:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2006-08/msg00525.html

Making Computer Algebra More Symbolic (Invited), Stephen M. Watt,
pp. 43-49, Proc. Transgressive Computing 2006: A conference
in honor or Jean Della Dora , (TC 2006), April 24-26 2006,
Granada Spain.

http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~watt/pub/reprints/2006-tc-sympoly.pdf

is a very important contribution. What he is describing here is
directly related to the implementation of the Expression domain
constructor in Axiom.