Re: [Axiom-developer] Makefile.solaris9 stanza

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Makefile.solaris9 stanza
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:43:22 -0400

> So the answer to Gaby's original question then is that for Solaris
> one would expect this variable should be something like:
>
>   PLF=SUNplatform
>
> or SUN4OS5platform or ... something like that.
>
> But at least in the case of the build that I was doing on Solaris 10
> with the GNU toolchain installed, it looks more like a LINUXplatform.
> I did not patch this variable in my build. (I have no idea whether my
> compile would have worked if it had been set to SUNplatform.)

It depends. The issue usually arises because the include file chain
changes with every platform. However, a linux-compatible include file
chain could use LINUXplatform. Try not to read too much into the name.

> Anyway, I think all these flags are an unfortunate mess which should
> really (eventually) be handled by the more general and more standard
> autoconfig mechanisms. Right?

In theory, yes. In practice, no. I doubt anyone is going to figure
out the possible combinations automatically and then re-port the
code to the various platforms to ensure that it works.