Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [SilverBinaries] (new) Help test Axiom Silver

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [SilverBinaries] (new) Help test Axiom Silver
Date: 14 Sep 2006 14:19:30 +0200

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

| > | What we have is like Debian.
| > | Silver = unstable
| > | Bronze = testing
| > many of my students were scared by the name "unstable" and did not
| > want to touch it.  I don't think they are unique in that respect.
| > I know that for GCC, for example, we call mainline, "experimental"
| > -- not
| > "unstable".  Personally, I would prefer to reserve the "negative"
| > sounding "unstable" to branches like "build-improvements" -- which
| > really can be very unstable :-)
|
| I just wanted to follow the naming conventions of a big project like
| Debian.

Yes, I know debian uses that word.  And it also has the reputation for
"being for the though guys" -- whether that is justified or not.

But, with people I've talked to (not just here, but before I even
consider going to the US) "unstable" does not come with good
prejudice.  We have to think about it.  Like I said, I much prefer
"experimental" to "unstable".  I would prefer to reserve "unstable"
for much more experimental work than silver.

| I quite believe that people who use Debian unstable all well
| aware that things could break.

I don't dispute that -- just like people using "experimental" knows
things might break.  They have very different "implied connotations".

| Anyway "unstable" does not have such a
| bad conotation for Debian. Am I wrong?

As I said, Debian is known -- rightly or wrongly -- to be for the
"though guys".  I don't want Axiom to be for the tough guys.

| If we call Silver = experimental that is not very different from
| "testing". If you can come up with anthing better, you're welcome.

It definitely is.  I really would like to not call the
build-improvements branch "testing".
I do believe that "unstable" for silver is not doing it justice.

| A suggestion could even be... drop "stable", "unstable", "testing" and
| just call the branches Gold, Silver, Bronze with a definition of what
| they are and the understanding that there is just ONE Gold and ONE
| Silver but many Bronze branches.

That is one way of doing it.  As long as we reserve "unstable" for far
worse situations.