[Axiom-developer] Doyen and Sage (was: [SAGEsupport] SAGE)

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Doyen and Sage (was: [SAGEsupport] SAGE)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:03:21 -0400

On Wednesday, September 13, 2006 12:58 PM William Stein wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:13:56 -0700, Enrique Acosta wrote:
> > I am using sage on windows with coLinux. ...
>
> We've decided not to support SAGE-with-cygwin anymore.
>
> > tried the CoLinux one and made it work after some settings on
> > the network connections. Some explanation of that in the
> > documentation could be useful. Everything is working fine now
> > and I think the notebook interface is really useful.
> > Last week I also tried the Vmware version to see what were the
> > differences and had a terrible experience.
>
> I don't recommend or support using that.  Colinux is the way to
> go.

See: http://colinux.org

So, finally a linux solution that actually works with Windows?
I want to hear more.

> >  First of all, I copuld not load the notebook, and then found
> > a serious limitations with the fact that you cannot copy and
> > paste from windows to Vmware and vice-versa.
>
> Yes, vmware is really not a good solution.
>
> VMware is not worth using.  You should use colinux.
> > The last experience which I have had with sage, was when
> > trying to use it on a Knoppix live CD. Is this possible?
> > I have tried it for two days unsuccesfully, although I have
> > to accept I am a complete Linux Newbie...
>
> I've never done this, but the following might work:
> (1) Put the SAGE binary on a USB drive:
>       http://modular.math.washington.edu/SAGEbin/linux_32bit/
> You probably want the ubuntu binary -- hopefully it will work.
> You could use ubuntu's live CD -- then for sure that binary
> would work.
> (2) Boot into the live CD environment.
> (3) Plug in the USB drive.
> (4) Type "tar xvf sage-1.3.7-ubuntu-i686-Linux.tar.gz"
>      to extract the binary (the extracted version is 333MB).
> (5) type "cd sage-1.3.7-ubuntu-i686-Linux"
> (6) type "./sage"
> (7) type notebook() to get the SAGE notebook.
> (8) Anything in SAGE that requires compiling, e.g.,
> rebuilding / upgrading, developing compiled code, etc.,
> will fail since live CD's don't include GCC  by default.
>
> > Anyway, I'm trying this because I want to use SAGE on a pretty old
> > dell laptop which is running windows but has only a 2GB
> hard disk  and
> > on which I cannot install linux since its a shared computer. I don't
> > know if you know if this is possible to do, or have considered the
> > idea of building a linux live CD with an already installed SAGE to
> > have a portable version of the programm which could use a
> usb drive to
> > save sessions, notebooks and everything. It would be great!
>
> People have suggested before building such a live CD, and
> I've been very encouraging, but nobody has actually stepped
> up to do it yet. Maybe you are the person to do it.   The
> crucial thing is that you should install GCC into the live cd,
> but get rid of things you don't need, like openoffice
> which is often in live cd's.

On the Axiom developer web site we host the Doyen project

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/Doyen

and such a live CD has been developed:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/DoyenCD

"Doyen is a Science Platform. It features a Live CD that contains
free and open source science software and a Wiki user interface
that runs on a laptop."

Right now the DoyenCD contains only Axiom, Magnus and Maxima. We
have been discussing add Sage and it's friends.

A complete description of how the DoyenCD was built is provided
here:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/DoyenDocs