[Axiom-developer] RE: [SAGEdev] Xcode and Fink (was: Hopefully stupid qu

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: [SAGEdev] Xcode and Fink (was: Hopefully stupid question)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 21:09:35 -0400

On Wednesday, September 06, 2006 1:12 PM Justin C. Walker wrote:
> >> So: you need to have Xcode (the package) installed, but you
> >> don't need to "use Xcode" [the IDE].

What about DarwinPorts?

http://darwinports.opendarwin.org

Their advertisement sez:

"The DarwinPorts Project's main goal is to provide an easy
way to install various open-source software products on the
Darwin OS family (OpenDarwin, Mac OS X and Darwin)."

"Please note that in order to install and run DarwinPorts on
Mac OS X you must have Apple's Xcode installed, found at the
Apple Developer site or on your Mac OS X installation CDs/DVD."

"It's sort of like the FreeBSD ports collection ..."

Apparently GCL has already been ported:

http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/ports/?by=name&substr=gcl

"gcl 2.6.6
    GNU Common Lisp
    Maintained by: address@hidden
    Categories: lang
    Platforms: darwin
    Dependencies: gettext"

Since we already apparently have the ability to build Axiom on BSD
systems which (like Debian) starts with a pre-installed version of
GCL, perhaps this would be the straightest path to Axiom on OS X?

I wonder if the DarwinPorts GCL maintainer: 'waqar' would be willig
to give us some insight into the ease or difficulty of porting GCL
what might also apply to Axiom?