Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [SAGEdev] NotebookWiki

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: [SAGEdev] NotebookWiki
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 16:44:37 -0700

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!

Page, Bill address@hidden wrote:
> This leads me to a perhaps radical but quite serious suggestion:
>
> Here we are working on Moinmoin and ZWiki-based wiki web sites
> for Sage and Axiom, but maybe we should really be spending some
> time developing a MediaWiki interface for these systems ...
> (MediaWiki is the software that is used to implement wikipedia.)
> What I mean is, this sort of computer algebra system should be
> available directly on wikipedia. I think for certain Sage (once
> the Axiom interface for Sage is complete :) is a logical candidate
> for such an extension of wikipedia given it's commitment to open
> source software and the approach to integrating diverse packages
> into a coherent user interface.

The reason I chose ZWiki initially is because MediaWiki (and many other
latex-in-wiki sytems) is very un-latex-like and very un-wiki like, and I
expected users who did not and would not learn STX or Wiki, but I wanted
to render their math in a reasonable way.  (i.e. as we often send each
other in email)

    http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Formula

The current LatexWiki meshes nicely with the pamphlet ideas and the
knowledge that scientists and mathemeticians have.  We all know we can
type $x^2$ and know what it means.  Learning to type <math>x^2</math> is
unexpected behavior, and throws one into learning HTML too.

This project already has too many languages.  We should be seeking to
reduce the set of languages.  Thereby we reduce the knowledge set needed
to contribute to Axiom.  Latex and pamphlets are two that are not going
away.  I think we should head for a pamphlet-based wiki instead.

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan