Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Requiring LaTeX

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Requiring LaTeX
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 14:39:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006, Alfredo Portes wrote:

| Gaby,
|
|  I knew this part was going to be taken in another context, and by no means
|  I tried to underestimate the work you are doing. Plus, I do recall your
| email
|  explaining that you did not want waste time testing on systems, when you
|  could focus on your research or teaching.

I think you misread what I said. I do not want to waste my time
"fixing" build environments -- I for sure know how to find my way
through, I just don't believe it is a good use of my time.  Fixing
Axiom is already a full-time job.  I *do want to do the testing* -- or
accept help from others to do the testing.  Testing is important.

[...]

|   I guess your point with this assignment is to show me how difficult it is.

Not really.  I just do not buy the stance "it is not difficult to
install X Y tool on systems, _therefore_ people should do it and by the
way we are not going to make it easy for people to contribute the
little they can."

| By no
|   means I wanted to say this was trivial. But if that helps with the great
| work you are
|   doing, I would be more than glad. But I am curious, couldn't be latex be
| avoided for
|   testing purposes, and then have it as a requirement later on??? (do latex
| to build the
|   documentation).

That is essentially what I have been saying since the begining.  We
are not in the business of testing latex on all pltaforms.  We are
primarily interested in testing Axiom.  Consequently, I believe we
should make it possible to allow people to test Axiom on system
lacking latex.  I don't see how that harms Axiom.