[Axiom-developer] Re: obsolete pages and portal download

From: William Sit
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: obsolete pages and portal download
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 02:26:45 -0400

Bill Page wrote:

> On August 31, 2006 6:11 PM William Sit wrote:
> >
> > Is there any info that is still useful on
> > http://page.axiom-developer.org?
>
> No, I don't think so. This was my original "personal home page"
> on the axiom-developer site. In addition to the wiki and the
> portal, anyone who has an account directly on the axiom-developer
> server also has such a web page. These are only editable when
> you are directly logged in to the server.

I see. I had always thought that was the main axiom-developer page.

> > Can some of these pages be deleted (or made unreadable by
> > the public)?
>
> Yes. Should I delete it, have it automatically re-direct to
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org or maybe take the time to
> actually make it more "personal"? What do yo think?

Since this is your personal page, it would be up to you to decide
whether to delete it or redirect it. But as far as the Axiom public is
concerned, it would be less confusing if the headers of those pages say
clearly it is your personal home page and that you provide links to the
"official" Wiki site. Then if someone stumbles onto your page through
searches, they would be directed to the right info place.

Non-historic and obsolete stuff should be deleted, even on your personal
page (IMHO).

> See also for example Tim's personal page at:
>
> http://daly.axiom-developer.org

At least he shows his picture with his big name prominent. So everyone
knows it is a personal web site.

> Of course anyone who wishes to could also construct such a
> "personal page" on the Axiom wiki or Axiom portal sites without
> any special access to the server.

Yes, but it should be clear it is a personal page.

[...]
> > Just a random comment from random browsing.
>
> Thanks for reviewing this.
>
> > Your work on the site is always appreciated.
> >

> I am glad it is useful. I would be very pleased if you or anyone
> else who has some time would go ahead with any changes that you
> think would improve the site. The portal site in some cases changes
> might require an upgrade of your registration "site manager" status
> to allow edit access but I would be very pleased to delegate this
> to who ever is motivated. :-)

There are two aspects: the portal main page is public and I don't mind
editing it. But the personal pages of its members are personal, and
better be left to the individual member who owns it. However, on the
main page, it should be clear what the purpose of the portal is, and why
each member owns a personal page. If I recall correctly, you mentioned
that very few members actually use the portal (that includes me, sorry).
I don't know why I would want to maintain my own portal page!

> If you don't have time, I will try to get to updating the portal
> pages asap.

I will do what I can, once I learn what the purpose of the portal is.
But if editing involves more, like programming in zope or plone, then
I'm afraid I am not the right person.

William