[Axiom-developer] RE: Cannot Rename The File Erlib To NRLIB

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Cannot Rename The File Erlib To NRLIB
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 05:12:34 -0400

Camm,

On Wednesday, August 23, 2006 2:27 PM you wrote:
> You need this in patches.lisp.pamphlet:
>
>          (setq $current-directory (truename
> (user-homedir-pathname))) )
>  goes to
>
>          (setq $current-directory (namestring (truename
> (user-homedir-pathname)))))

Thanks. I applied this patch to my local copy of the Axiom
Silver build_improvements branch.

> OK, I've made delete-file remove directories, and provide an
> errno explanation on failure.  In Version_2_6_8pre.
>
> Lisp has a bit of a different idea on some of these things.
> probe-file, delete-file, open-file, etc. are not supposed to work
> on directories, it appears, in keeping with some olden days in
> which directories were not accessible as files on the fs.  I'm
> too busy now to try to provide another function, so I hope this
> will do.
>
> I though you had problems renaming, not deleting?  I have not
> done anything here (yet).

You are right. So in addition to your change to
'gcl-2.6.8pre/o/unixfsys.c' in delete_file:

        if (unlink(filename) < 0 && rmdir(filename) < 0)
                FEerror("Cannot delete the file ~S: ~s.", 2,
                  path, make_simple_string(strerror(errno)));

and I added the following to rename_file:

#ifdef HAVE_RENAME
        /* Make sure we can rename */
        if (unlink(newfilename) < 0) rmdir(newfilename);
        if (rename(filename, newfilename) < 0)
                FEerror("Cannot rename the file ~S to ~S.",
                        2, vs_base[0], vs_base[1]);
#else

I am testing the build now.

Thanks.