Re: [Axiom-developer] --patch-50

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] --patch-50
Date: 29 Aug 2006 23:24:19 -0500

root <address@hidden> writes:

| > Is this issue related to missing libXpm?  Or is it a different one?
|
| Yes. I'm trying to resolve this across all of the system.

Aha.
libXpm does not seem to be much appreciated these days among system
packagers.  It has gone through deprecation, active non-support,
tentatively replaced with xpm-nox, then came back again then gone.
Long term, it might be best just to find a different way to accomplish
what is currently done with xpm in Axiom.  I may be able to come up
with an Autoconf test (based on how we find X11), but that may take
some time.

| > Maybe we should talk to Camm to either make public numbered
| > pre-releases or include the date of official preleases in the tarball
| > name.
| >
| > |    (Gaby, how will automake handle this?)
| >
| > I'm afraid I have lost the distinctive features of old 2.6.8pre
| > vs. new 2.6.8pre.  If we need to run the system before knowing it is
| > bad then we're almost out of luck.
|
| I'm not sure what the issue is about updating the gcl version numbers.
| i was unable to find a way to distinguish the two cases except at build
| time. There is no runtime #+ flag. However since I know which one I
| need at build time I just set the correct version in the Makefile.pamphlet
| fedora stanza.
|
| > Can we have only one master CVS with the othe one rsync-ing?
|
| Two questions, why? and how?. It's only two cvs stores and
| it takes only a few minutes to update the second once the first
| is complete.

Oh, the suggestion was just to relieve you, but if you don't find it a
problem, I don't find it a problem :-)

| At this time all of the CVS files are up to date.
|
| I've checked out the SVN branch and will be creating a set
| of diff-Naur files for you to look at.

OK, thanks!