[Axiom-developer] Re: NULL_OR_ON_C_STACK macro invalid (was: noweb)

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: NULL_OR_ON_C_STACK macro invalid (was: noweb)
Date: 24 Aug 2006 11:57:53 -0400

Greetings!  Hope you got my last message regarding the directory
deletion fixes, etc.

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm,
>
> Thanks Camm! My test build just completed using the option
>
> --disable-xgcl
>
> On August 18, 2006 5:26 PM you wrote:
> >
> > OK, this one is my fault, as I fogot we were still using EXTRAS
> > in the makefile here.  2.6.8pre incorporates Gordon Novak's xgcl,
> > and the way I build it was using compiler::link from within lisp
> > as it was simpler.  This overrides EXTRAS at the very end, as it
> > copies the compiler::link generated saved_xgcl over the saved_gcl
> > left by unixport/makefile.
> >
> > I'll probably have to revert this and do xgcl the old fashioned
> > way.
>
> I am not sure that it continues to make sense to support the old
> "EXTRAS" method of linking external libraries. Does any gcl-based
> software use this besides the "standard" Axiom distribution? Since
> this method is not used of Axiom on Debian and on BSD, I think it
> would make sense to move as soon as possible to using compiler::link
> on all the other systems.

Well, for this reason, and to work around a current Debian ia64 gprof
problem, I'm building xgcl now via the makefiles, at least for the
moment.

> Is there any advantage to enabling xgcl in Axiom in any case? Would
> it change Axiom's user interface? Have you tried this on the Debian
> build where it does not have to be disabled?

It is a very nice, light xwindows interface if you want to use it.
Most people now use a higher level toolkit built on top, such as gtk.
There are lisp wrappers for these, but not incorporated yet, and
likely will remain so unless someone is really using them.

Take care,