[Axiom-developer] RE: axiom.risc.uni-linz.ac.at

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: axiom.risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 19:01:45 -0400

Ralf,

On Wednesday, August 16, 2006 6:49 PM you wrote:
> Bill Page wrote:
> > Would you like to know more about how to do the ZSyncer?
>
> Before I take a closer look to the documentation, your
> description sounds as if I have to sync manually. I though
> that just using axiom.risc (reading/editing) would
> automatically (once a day or so) forward my changes to the
> axiom-developer wiki.

I would say that it is "semi-manual" :) It produces a two
column listing - one column for each server - with pages marked
as unchanged, new, updated or deleted on one side or the other.
All you have to do is to click check boxes to decide what you
want to do about the differences. And then click 'update' to
start the batch transfer (which can work both ways, either
updating or reverting pages as you decide).

Its not as smart as it could be and it is not completely
foolproof, but usually it doesn't take very long to move a
few hundred pages from one site to another. Only the page
source is moved. The pages must be re-rendered on the host
machine in order to generate the computational results and
the LaTeX graphics. This regeneration is transparent to the
user and occurs when the new/revised page is first requested.

> And what about the portal, i.e. the plone stuff? No no, you
> don't need to install anything if it is not there. I am
> just curious.

ZSyncer works at the Zope level for both Axiom Wiki and Axiom
Portal. The same method is used for both.