Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: configure on MAC/FreeBSD

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: configure on MAC/FreeBSD
Date: 14 Aug 2006 20:31:50 +0200

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

| On August 14, 2006 11:37 AM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| >
| > root <address@hidden> writes:
| >
| > | Gaby,
| > |
| > | I'd suggest testing your configure scripts on both the MAC
| > and FreeBSD,
| >
| > I don't have access to a MAC of a freebsd, thay is why I repeatedly
| > call for testing and feedback.  If you have problems, please send me
| > the logs so that I can look into the problems.  Otherwise, I cannot
| > do anything.
| >

| I do not mean to imply the Gaby should be doing this additional work,
| since he is already doing a great deal to improve the build environment,
| but in fact we do have easy access to these systems.

Bill, thank you very much for sharing this information with me.
I suspected we somehow had access to SF machines but did not know how
to get them.  I should have asked.

I'm certainly an amateur as far as Axiom goes, but not an amateur for
large projects development so I don't take offense :-)
It certainly makes sense that large infrastracture changes be tested
on at least three primary targets before committing to mainline --
though we should not put the dogma to require that all platforms are
tested before committing to mainline.

As a matter of fact, on purpose I did NOT propose to merge the
"build improvements" work to mainline because I do not feel satisfied
with it.  Rather, I've begged for testing from people, and I thank all
of you who tested and send feedback either publically or privately.
I'm committed to improve this and propose it for mainline (i.e. silver).
It will be up to Tim whether he wants it for the gold branch.

I will like us to define "primary platforms" and "secondary platforms".
A primary platform is one where any regression must be fixed after it
is noticed or the patch reverted if its author cannot fix it in timely
manner (e.g. within 48 hours).  We cannot maintian silver broken for a
known primary platform.

A secondary platform is one where the patch reversal ruls has a
relaxed content.

For concretness, here is a initial list of primary platforms:

  * i686-pc-linux-gnu
  * x86_64-*-linux
  * stable supported *BSD
  * powerpc-*-darwin*

[...]

| Anyone who is motivated to try this can be registered as an Axiom developer
| to try the Axiom builds on these systems.

I have a private script for automatically building Axiom; do you think
there is a was to set up a cron job on those systems?