Re: [Axiom-developer] patches

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] patches
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:38:55 -0400

> I strongly believe that axiom--main--1 should be a "testing" branch and
> things from their should only enter the silver/trunk if they do not
> break anything serious. Note that silver/trunk is supposed to become Gold.

I could be mistaken or confused. Are you suggesting using an SVN
branch called axiom--main--1? Or are you suggesting that the arch
version axiom--main--1 should be considered a testing branch?

In arch, axiom--main--1 is the golden version of the system.
It is supposed to be updated every 2 months. I'm way behind on this
due to conference/work/vacation collisions but testing is nearing
completion.

axiom--main--1 is a fully tested/blessed version of the system.
It is mirrored on sourceforge (in cvs) and savannah (in cvs) once
it has been uploaded. All three updates occur at the same time.
This has been going on for the past 2 years.

My understanding was that the sourceforge svn was intended to be
a place where people can make and maintain their own branches. This
was previously available to anyone on http://arch.axiom-developer.org
The svn idea has morphed into the silver version of the system which,
as i understand it, is intended to contain proposed changes, similar
to Andrew Morton's -mm branch of linux. Morton's version of linux
has many changes that have never been put in the main branch.

If there is going to be an naming convention in svn it should
probably NOT have an axiom--main--1 in the tree as this will only
cause confusion.