Re: [Axiom-developer] Old Lisp

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Old Lisp
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 00:21:37 -0700

Bill Page wrote:
On August 12, 2006 8:56 PM Gaby wrote:
... There are still some patches against GCL that Tim developed.
Ideally, I think we should not be in the business of patching
GCL. Camm has been collaborating with us very effectively; we
should communicate those issues with him and see how they can
be addressed in GCL upstream.

I think all of the patches made by Tim are obsolete. I agree
that we should not be in the business of patching GCL. Although
GCL is currently the primary vehicle for delivering Axiom, it
is not the only Lisp that is capable of doing so. (For example
there is the open source CMUCL version of Axiom done by Jurgen
Weiss and the commercial version of Axiom used yet another lisp
and that lisp is now open source too.
Ack ... Lisp wars! :) Well ...

1. As far as I know, GCL and CLISP are the only open source Lisps that run on Windows. CMUCL for sure doesn't and SBCL may not either. CMUCL probably never will, but SBCL has a good chance.

2. I think GCL is faster than CLISP.

3. If you have GCL installed, does Axiom still build its own copy, or does it know about the installed version?