[Axiom-developer] heads-up, code updates

From: Simon Michael
Subject: [Axiom-developer] heads-up, code updates
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 16:29:07 -0700

Greetings all.

Bob - I'll see your scare quotes and Microsoft/Intel characterisation, and raise you Working Code.. ;-)

Here's where I'm at with LatexWiki and MathAction. I updated LatexWiki 0.42 to be compatible with current Zwiki.
http://joyful.com/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=latexwiki;a=summary

Now I've copied that into the Zwiki product as an internal plugin.
http://joyful.com/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=ZWiki;a=filehistory;f=/plugins
This is running on zwiki.org at the moment.

I'm following the same process with the latest MathAction. Here it is updated to work with current Zwiki, at least to the point of rendering LaTeX:
http://joyful.com/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=mathaction;a=summary
I have this installed as an internal plugin but it's not as yet added to the Zwiki repo.

This mathaction plugin is still using it's own older version of LatexWiki. I haven't made any attempt to refactor it to use the newer latexwiki plugin, but this may be a good thing to work towards. And that looks a lot easier now. In the past I tried to reconcile the two by pulling patches between your repos, but the differences were too large for me to resolve.

About internal vs. external plugins - a lot of projects seem to end up organised this way: many independent plugins, but distributed en masse. At the cost of some independence, it ensures users always have compatible code, solving a whole lot of problems with version skew and backwards compatibility, and also makes the overall codebase more maintainable and likely to be kept up to date. I think it's a good approach for zwiki plugins and pagetypes.

Should I bundle a mathaction plugin with Zwiki ? I'm not sure yet. I might check it in, refactor it and split it out again later. Anyway, ideally I'll achieve a clean up-to-date mathaction that's enticing enough for Bill to switch to. If not, well nothing lost.

Comments welcome - Simon