Re: [Axiom-developer] lsp/Makefile.pamphlet reorganisation

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] lsp/Makefile.pamphlet reorganisation
Date: 11 Aug 2006 03:08:34 +0200

Vanuxem Grégory <address@hidden> writes:

| Hello,
|
| The lsp/Makefile.pamphlet file needs a reorganisation. You can quickly
| read the dvi and you'll see that nearly all code chunks that patches gcl
| are in subsubsections of the section "Gnu Common Lisp 2.5.2" and that
| the "gcl-version stanzas" (definition of targets) are in subsections of
| this section. If you want I can reorganise it but there are two
| important things: first, the silver branch is moving to autotools so
| Gaby or other will probably work on it and so it's, perhaps, preferable
| to reorganise it later, second, if I modify it I need to know how to
| restructure it.

Parts of my current work touch that area, but I definitely welcome
additional brains and hands :-)  Just let me know what your plans are.

Mine is to first get Autoconf in, then gradually move to Automake.
We should also get rid of the old GCL build stanzas.
If possible, have the work on the build-improvements branch so that we
don't have too many conflict when merging.
One of the thing to do is to get rid of the direct usage of OBJ, MNT,
SYS in the make files.  We should be able to abstract over those
implementations details, have the directories defined once and used
everywhere.  In the near term, we will have the following structure in
the build directory:

    top-level-build-directory/
       build/
          scripts/
          $build                # i686-pc-linux-gnu for example
            bin/
            lib/
            share/
       target/                  # staging directory for DESTDIR
          $target               # x86_64-unknown-linux for example
             bin/
             lib/
             share/

I have a patch for "optional build of noweb"; tests are running.
Next will be to have "optional build of GCL".
Then. we will get to the monsters.

BTW, I hate to have to wait for hours watching Axioms build "serialy",
with no possibility to have "parallel" builds.  That sucks. :-(

Thakns;