RE: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Requests for discussion

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Requests for discussion
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 15:37:03 -0400

On Thursday, August 03, 2006 2:34 PM Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

> And the "book" idea is good, but it is not perfect. You have
> already said that you want to write books for different people,
> look from a different perspective onto the same data. So wouldn't
> it be nice to have all these data (= some information) split into
> atoms that could be put together to new molecules (=books)? Read
> about the LEO system, they basically have such an idea of
> different view onto the same data.

+1 For sure. Leo is a "new generation" literaterate programming
tool that is well worth looking into. I think we would learn
a lot about Axiom if we were to set up a Leo environment of
building Axiom.

> And actually, if we used our Wiki more extensively, also that
> could provide different views onto Axiom. I think, even in 20
> years the 30 years horizon is still that far away.

++1 Double for sure! :) I would very much like to continue to
explore this possibility :( if I ever find some more time ):

To put it crudely in the vernacular of the current generation:

"We don't need no stink'n 2000 page book! We're web connected."

Seriously, I think the web (the whole web, not just what fits
on your desktop) is the only technology that can solve this
sort of problem at the "peta-scale" that, as Tim has suggested,
is nearlly here already. Unfortunately we are only just being
to learn how to build such systems.